Today, biology is subdivided into hierarchies based on the molecule, the cell, the organism, and the population. Molecular biology, which spans biophysics and biochemistry, has made the most fundamental contributions to modern biology, one of which is the discovery of the mechanism of heredity. Cellular biology is closely linked with molecular biology. To understand the functions of the cell—the basic structural unit of living matter—cell biologists study its components on the molecular level. Organismal biology, in turn, is related to cellular biology. This study of organisms includes their growth and development (developmental biology) and how they function (physiology). Population biology became firmly established as a major subdivision of biological studies in 1970s. Central to this field is evolutionary biology, in which the contributions of Charles Darwin have been fully appreciated after a long period of neglect.
1. The most suitable title for the paragraph is ______
- Subdivision of Biology
- Hierarchies of Biology
- Development of Biology
2. “…..cell biologists study its components…..” (line 5). “its” in the sentence refers to ______
- the cell's
- the cell
- the cell biologist
- the living matter
3. Mechanism of heredity is discovered by ______
- the molecular biologists
- the cell biologists
- the organismal biologists
- the population biologists
4. Organismal biology studies ______
- the organisms’ growth
- the organisms’ development
- how organisms function
- A, B, C are correct
5. “…..after a long period of neglect.” (line 10) The word “neglect” in the sentence has similar meaning with the word ______
6. The following statements are TRUE as based on the
paragraph, except ______
- The four hierarchies of biology are related to one another
- Molecular biology contributes the most to modern biology
- Evolutionary biology has been fully accepted long before the 1970s
- Cell is the basic structural unit of living matter
When certain blood types are mixed, a clumping of the red blood cells occurs. Suppose the wrong type of blood is injected into a person’s veins, clumps formed in the blood might prevent or slow the normal circulation and cause death. A person having type A blood can safely receive only type A or type O blood. Injecting other types would cause clumping in the patient’s blood vessels. A person with type B blood can receive only type B or type O blood. Persons with type AB blood can receive type AB blood or any other three types. This is why persons with type AB blood are called universal receivers. Meanwhile, persons with type O blood are known as universal donors. This means blood from type O persons can be injected into people with other blood types. However, it is best if a person receives his or her own blood type. Type O can be given when it is emergency. Before any blood is injected into a patient’s vessels, it must be carefully cross-matched.
7. A person having type ______ blood can get donors of any blood type.
a. B b. A c. O d. AB
8. The type of blood which can be safely received by any person is___________
a. B b. A c. O d. AB
9. “…..clumps formed in the blood…..” (line 2) The word “clumps” in the sentence is similar in meaning with the word ______
10. Which of the following topics is NOT discussed in the paragraph?
- the effect of the red blood cells clumping
- the cause of the red blood cells clumping
- the correct match of blood transfusion
- the composition of each blood type
11. “….., it must be carefully cross-matched.” (line 10) The pronoun “it” refers to ______
- A person’s veins is the patient
- the patient's vissels
- the injection
- the blood
12. Based on the paragraph, the following statements are TRUE, except ______
- A person’s veins is where blood is injected.
- Clumping is formed when a person receives wrong type of blood.
- Cross-matching of blood types is not necessarily done before the blood transfusion.
- Clumps in a person’s blood might result in the death of the person.
Everyone knows the small insect called mosquito. It is possible to find mosquitoes in almost every part of the world except in the places where it is extremely cold or where it is very dry. During the summer, it is almost certain that you can find many mosquitoes near swamps, ponds, and lakes.
Mosquitoes have an interesting life cycle. The female mosquito bites a person or animal in order to get some blood. She needs this blood before she can lay her eggs. Second, she flies to an area of water and deposits her eggs in it. In a few days, the eggs open, and the baby mosquitoes, called larvae, come out. In a short time, they will mature and fly away.
It is interesting to note that only the female will bite for blood. She had a special mouth which can go into an animal’s skin or a person’s skin. On the other hand, the male mosquitoes can only think? plant juices with his mouth.
14. The most appropriate title for the text is ______
b. Mosquitoes’ Life Cycle
c. the Mosquito
d. The Female Mosquitoes
15. Mosquitoes cannot be found in ______
16. “…..and deposits her eggs in it.” (line 6) The word “deposits” in the sentence has similar meaning with the following words, except _____
a. place b. lay c. drop d. lift
17. “…..they will mature and fly away.” (line 7) The pronoun “they” refers to ______
a. the mosquitoes b. the eggs c. the baby mosquitoes d. The Female Mosquitoes
18. I. larvae coming out of the eggs
II. biting a person or an animal
III. flying to a water area
IV. mature larvae flying away
V. laying the egg in the water
The correct order to describe the mosquitoes’ life cycle is ______
19. Female mosquitoes lay their eggs in ______
20. Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the text?
a. Mosquitoes can be found anywhere in this world.
b. The female mosquito only bites a person.
c. It takes a long time for larvae to mature and fly away.
d. Female mosquitoes have a special mouth to bite for blood.
Fill in the blanks with the best words to complete the sentences!
21. He grows crops and raises cattle in his ______
22. Historical objects are usually kept in a ______
23. July : Rom, I’d like you to ______ my father. Dad, this is Romi.
Romi : How do you do, Sir?
24. An ______ likes to eat sweet things.
25. A ______ is a kind of insect which produces honey.
26. Your mother’s sister is your ______
27. Teacher : Parto, answer my question, “Who developed the theory of evolution?”
Parto : I’m ______, Ma’am. Could you repeat your question?
28. Indra : Hey, let’s go to the beach to find some shellfish!
Dhini : That would be fun, but I _____. I have to stay at home.
29. You can call a ______ to carry your luggage at the station.
Glen : Sure, here you are.
31. He works in a large farm. The underlined word is synonymous with the word ______
32. He breeds a lot of cattle in his ranch. The underlined word cannot be replaced with the word ____
33. The lion in the zoo frightened the little boy. The underlined word has the same meaning with the word ______
34. Tourist : Could you tell me how to ______ to the station, please?
Native : Certainly. Just go staight ahead and take the first turn to the left.
35. A : Did you see the news about the great disaster in Aceh?
B : Yeah, that’s too ______. Let’s hope that the condition will be better soon.
36. Daisy : How about going to Wonosari Tea Garden next week?
37. These are parts of a plant, except ______
38. Student A : I think Biology is more difficult than Physics.
Student B : I ______ with you. Biology is the most difficult subject of all.
39. ______ has a hump on its back.
40. X : Do you think we can cheat on the English test tomorrow?
Y : I think you’d ______ stop thinking about it.
41. “This food contains a lot of mineral.” Which of the sentence is a verb?
42. “Biology is the science of life.” The word “of” in the sentence is a ______
43. He got an accident because of his ______
44. I ______ that man. He is so arrogant.
45. Reza : Do you see my Biology books, Ji?
Aji : I think ______ there on the table.
46. Mr. Bond ______ in a beautiful house in
47. I ______ to your birthday yesterday because I was sick.
48. He ______ the Discovery Channel right now.
49. ______ in ghosts?
50. The boy’s parents have passed away. Now, he has to ______ his younger brothers.
51. The room is rather dark. ______ the light, please!
52. A robber ______ the factory last night.
53. The botanist ______ in the botanical garden for years.
54. The farmers ______ the crops yesterday.
55. My father ______ some fertilizers tomorrow.
56. Look at those black clouds! It ______ rain soon.
57. Our immune system ______ to protect us against harmful bacteria.
58. Lime ______ as fertilizers by the Romans during the empire.
59. A tortoise is ______ than a hare.
60. Mike : Oh no, I got a bad score in the Biology test!
Dono : Really? Let me see. Don’t worry, buddy, my score is ______ than yours.